commit your changes or stash them before you can merge - I didn't change anything :-(

Sdävtaker sdavtaker at gmail.com
Thu May 20 06:51:24 PDT 2010

if you are sure those changes got no value you can also:git reset --hard (that will remove the changes you have)On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 06:41, Stathis Kamperis <ekamperi at gmail.com> wrote:

2010/5/20 Siju George <sgeorge.ml at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first time i ever saw this during a source update
>
>> cd /usr/src/
>> git pull
> remote: Counting objects: 18, done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (10/10), done.
> remote: Total 10 (delta 8), reused 0 (delta 0)
> Unpacking objects: 100% (10/10), done.
> From git://git.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly
>   f4de6f9..8cb6454  DragonFly_RELEASE_2_6 -> origin/DragonFly_RELEASE_2_6
>   d575613..04db1b2  master     -> origin/master
> Updating d575613..04db1b2
> error: Your local changes to 'lib/libc/uuid/uuid_name_lookup.c' would
> be overwritten by merge.  Aborting.
> Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
>> cd /usr/
>> make src-update
> cd /usr/src && git pull
> Updating d575613..04db1b2
> error: Your local changes to 'lib/libc/uuid/uuid_name_lookup.c' would
> be overwritten by merge.  Aborting.
> Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr.
>>

> Current Versiob is
>
> 2.7-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly v2.7.3.44.gd5756-DEVELOPMENT #0: Wed May 19
> 07:37:57 IST 2010
>
> Thanks
>
> --Siju

Just like git says, you have a modified version of the file
'lib/libc/uuid/uuid_name_lookup.c'.

When you do a 'git pull', you tell git to fetch remote changes and
merge them with your local tree. If git does so, the remote copy will
overwrite your local copy of the file we discuss. Here git tries to
protect you from losing any work you've done on the file, by stopping
the merge.

Again, just like the error message says, you have to either 'git
stash' or 'git add <file> && git commit -m "foo"'. My guess is that
you haven't manually edited the file or you don't care about it. In
this case do:

git checkout HEAD -- lib/libc/uuid/uuid_name_lookup.c
git pull

Also, make sure that you are on the right branch when you 'git pull'.

This should fixed it. If not, feel free to write back :)

Cheers,
Stathis

-- http://dfbsd.trackbsd.org.ar