starting Apache

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Tue May 18 21:07:35 PDT 2010

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
It seems that maybe we should ship with /etc/rc.d set by default.
-1 for me - usual 'system is system and pkgsrc is pkgsrc' reasoning.

(and just had my tweaked apache start script botched by pkgsrc)

pkgsrc / rcng are super flexible - isn't there some way to spec the
rcorder scan dirs? (seem to recall.. maybe freebsd does this?) -
perhaps setting the rc default to scan pkgsrc as well might be the way
to go if a change is required?

then we could throw in some quasi-rh-like 'service foo start' command
which would locate the appropriate rc script (according to dir scan
config), and run - this would let the newer-folks have an easy setup:

- tweak rc.conf
- service foo start
to prevent the 'hey whered my script go', and
and people with custom scripting wouldn't be clobbered..
though I'd like something linguistically tweaked a smidge like 'rc run'
- 'service' is WAAAY too windowsy and muddles things