BSDStats: Project Status on May 13th, 2010

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu May 13 14:11:41 PDT 2010

  Over the past two weeks, there has been alot of work performed on the
backend, including fixing a few "bugs" that were recently reported.

  As a result of using HAProxy to load balance and help ensure uptime for
reporting clients, someone recently reported that although their sent in
their report, their country wasn't going up in the 'Countries' states.

  This bug has been fixed (HAProxy was reporting Proxy IP vs Client IP)
and we reset the stats period to 1st of May, causing a sharp drop in #s
that has slowly been climbing back up again.

  The result of the change is that now Panama isn't the largest
distribution of PC-BSD anymore, but the USofA is back in that lead, with
Russia quickly following.

Stats Summary:

As of May 13th, 2010 (based on reporting ~2 weeks of reporting period
since fix) , the project has 3 733 hosts that have reported in, broken
down as follows:

         PC-BSD            2 357 hosts
         FreeBSD           1 243 hosts
         DesktopBSD           78 hosts
         NetBSD               34 hosts
         OpenBSD              12 hosts
         DragonFly             9 hosts
         MirBSD                0 hosts
         MidnightBSD           0 hosts
         GNU/kFreeBSD          0 hosts
We currently have hosts being reported in from 88 countries, with the top
10 being:

         United States             752
         Panama                    332
         Russian Federation        332
         Australia                 271
         Germany                   204
         Ukraine                   173
         Japan                     121
         Canada                    101
         Brazil                     89
         United Kingdom             89
Project URL: http://www.bsdstats.org

Project Objective:

"The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for advocacy
and marketing of the *BSD operating systems."

PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to
enabled, while the rest have to be enabled manually.

For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats
to set things up.

There is now a man page / document that has been created, that contains
a full description of the project, as well as the steps we take to
ensure the anonymity of those reporting while maintaining the
individuality of the reporting machines.  This can be found at:

	http://www.bsdstats.org/bsdstats-8.html

Project Uptime:

In the beginning, there were issues with accessibility of the servers, due
to only having one reporting server.  We have since moved to a distributed
cluster using HAProxy to load balance between two physical servers, with a
third one coming online soon.  http://www.bsdstats.org isn't running on
this new cluster yet, but work is underway to get that moved over as well,
which we hope to have accomplished over the next couple of days.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy at hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org
Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy at hub.org