HEADS UP: BIND Removal. Short instructions for migration to pkgsrc-BIND

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu May 6 04:24:11 PDT 2010

Am 06.05.2010 13:06, schrieb Antonio Huete Jimenez:
+1 for having something like dig/host in base.
You could easily have it by just installing bind from pkgsrc (or drill,
as you prefer). And new installations would have it anyways because it
comes on the LiveCD.

The only question is: Do we want to _maintain_ a drill and libldns in
our base from now on? Because that's what we would have to do if it's in
base.

IMO it's generally not a good thing if something is in base and exists
in pkgsrc and the version in pkgsrc is much newer in due to lack of
maintenance of the version in base. Even if you install the pkgsrc
version then, you still have the problem that the base version shadows
it (per $PATH), and you can't delete the base version without a knob
that prevents re-installation, and so on.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx