prompt and time zone

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.optus.nu
Sat Mar 27 20:47:39 PDT 2010

On Monday 15 March 2010 07:36:55 Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Pierre Abbat <phma at phma.optus.nu> wrote:
>  > Where do I put a prompt so that all users get it, regardless of
>  > their shell?
>
> You can't do that, because the various shells use different
> syntax for expansion of values inside the prompt string.
> Unless, of course, you only want to set the prompt to a
> simple fixed string without any expansions.
>
> But apart from that, I think it's a bad thing to enforce
> a prompt on all users.  Let them chose their own.

Is there a way to set the default prompt? All users can set their own prompt,
but there's a default, which could contain the current directory and user
name. There's a file /etc/login.conf which looks like it may be the right
place to set this; I set the charset to utf-8 there.

Pierre
--
Jews use a lunisolar calendar; Muslims use a solely lunar calendar.