DragonflyBSD GEOM? (Re: Is it time to dump disklabel and use GPT instead?)

Alex Hornung ahornung at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:17:31 PDT 2010

On 28/07/10 21:58, Adam Vande More wrote:
> [...]
> It's not just that combination though.  HammerFS could be used on other
> modules like gvinum, gconcat, etc, etc.
>
> I'm interested in using Dragonfly for some embedded system, but having
> more GPL stuff is essentially a non-starter for me as well.  I really
> like HammerFS and would have preferred to see that in FreeBSD over ZFS.

Just use vinum. It has been there forever and will provide the features
you seem to be interested in without the GPL "burden". I absolutely fail
to see any of your points in why we would want to have geom and I would
definitely not welcome having it, for whatever it's worth.

If GPL stuff is a non-starter for you, as you put it, then gcc should
pose a problem to you as well...

Regards,
Alex Hornung