Is it time to dump disklabel and use GPT instead?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:54:06 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM,  <elekktretterr at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Also, if Linux wants to import *BSD's block devices,
> that's
> a Linux problem, not *BSD's.

I think that "some" Unix interoperability should be a long term goal for
any Unix system. When you have a recognized standard like GPT, using it
seems to be the right thing to do, instead of developing another solution
that is incompatible with everything else on the market. I agree, and I'm mostly on your side for making GPT default.
You're not going
to get Linux to change because of BSD, it's the other way around. At least
in regards to interoperability. Technical merit, maybe.I'm not sure I made myself entirely clear.  If you implement GEOM, you have the framework in place to use a fully compliant GPT disk which any other vendor could easily read.  GEOM has many other modules including one that maps to LVM's, a new io scheduler, and a block based journaling system, etc.
-- Adam Vande More