HEAD now has powerd for ACPI based cpu frequency adjustment.

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jul 3 09:26:02 PDT 2010

:Am 03/07/2010 01:13 μμ, schrieb Johannes Hofmann:
:> Hi,
:> what is the reason for creating powerd instead of using sysutils/estd fr
:> om pkgsrc, which already does ACPI P-states based frequency scaling?
:
:I think the main reason is Matt couldn't find estd so he just hacked up
:powerd instead. No idea if the functionality is comparable or which
:would be a better basis for future improvement.
:
:Aggelos

    It took less than 2 hours to write it, but also I want to implement
    a scheduler integration feature that does not exist in estd at all
    that will allow us to consolidate processes on fewer cpus when the
    load is low.

    Plus, it's kinda like dntpd.  Just because someone somewhere wrote
    something doesn't mean it is going to be the best implementation.

					<dillon at backplane.com>