Networking problem - Just how to do this?

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Tue Jul 20 03:55:31 PDT 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:45 PM, elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:The situation is like this:DF Box is on a public IP - 1.1.1.2  - The box is connected to a switch,and the switch is connected to the upstream router - 1.1.1.1Now, I've also connected another router(Cisco ASA 5505) to the switch. Itsalso got a public IP - 1.1.1.3 - and the router will be used to establishVPN connections to another network on the internet. The problem is I donthave a "private network", the DF box is on a public IP.So I aliased the network interface on the DF Box and gave it a private IP:10.0.0.2/24.I'm kind of at loss as what to do next. Has anyone been in a similarsituation? Worst come worst i'll have to run another cable to the secondNIC on the DF Box and split the topology physically.Thanks,PetrDo you have a second NIC in the DF box? The ASA5505 is a firewall security device and not a router therefore do not make the mistake in believing it will behave like a router. Cisco ASA's are persnickety devices and will only VPN from an insecure to a secure  interface. If your DF box had a second NIC that you could put on the ASA's secure interface (LAN) then you could VPN via the ASA. This is not optimal and only based on the assumption that you do not want to relocate the DF box completely behind the ASA which is the other option.I hope that helps. Regards,Mikel KingSenior Editor, BSD News NetworkColumnist, BSD Magazine6 Alpine Court,Medford, NY 11763o: 631.627.3055http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikelkinghttp://twitter.com/mikelking