Is it time to dump disklabel and use GPT instead?

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Tue Jul 27 19:59:25 PDT 2010

> Also, if Linux wants to import *BSD's block devices,
> that's
> a Linux problem, not *BSD's.

I think that "some" Unix interoperability should be a long term goal for
any Unix system. When you have a recognized standard like GPT, using it
seems to be the right thing to do, instead of developing another solution
that is incompatible with everything else on the market. You're not going
to get Linux to change because of BSD, it's the other way around. At least
in regards to interoperability. Technical merit, maybe.

I might signup for GSoC 2011. Do I have to be a student?

Petr