HEAD now has powerd for ACPI based cpu frequency adjustment.

Johannes Hofmann johannes.Hofmann at gmx.de
Sat Jul 3 13:40:56 PDT 2010

"Matthew Dillon" <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:Am 03/07/2010 01:13 μμ, schrieb Johannes Hofmann:
:> Hi,
:> what is the reason for creating powerd instead of using sysutils/est
d fr
:> om pkgsrc, which already does ACPI P-states based frequency scaling?
:
:I think the main reason is Matt couldn't find estd so he just hacked u
:powerd instead. No idea if the functionality is comparable or which
:would be a better basis for future improvement.
:
:Aggelos

   It took less than 2 hours to write it, but also I want to implement
   a scheduler integration feature that does not exist in estd at all
   that will allow us to consolidate processes on fewer cpus when the
   load is low.
I'm just asking because I wrote ACPI support for Dragonfly in estd and I
'm the current maintainer of estd.
If there is a technical reason to have a proprietary implementation I'm
all for it, but the whole power management stuff is quite fragmented alr
eady with lots of
different implementations that do the same thing slightly different.

Cheers Johannes