Utility to list /dev/nodes & serno's

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Thu Aug 19 07:04:03 PDT 2010

On 8/19/2010 14:54, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
Using this mechanism you can export other kinds of information as well
(disks have lots of attributes you want to know about) in a way that
will effortlessly work across many kernel versions. I don't think
manually running udevd in single user mode is such a big deal (you could
even autostart it. You're root in single user mode). The script is also
less robust wrt hotplug events that move disks around (this isn't
realistic with physical swapping of disks, but might be an issue with
network storage).
Well, I thought we're talking about a simple utility to help the user
find the corresponding /dev/serno/... for e.g. a /dev/da... node and not
about some full fledged disk attribute dumping utility (which tuxillo's
doesn't seem to be). If that is what's wanted here, we should use a
different name at least (devattr(8) perhaps? any other ideas?) and view
the serno information as a first feature with more to come.

Sascha