Builds / Tests / Etc

Chris Turner c.turner at 199technologies.org
Tue Aug 17 23:35:13 PDT 2010

Hello all -

I'm doing some work around the so-called devlab here,
hoping to get some kind of build automation going, etc, etc
Wondering what, if any customization people have / are using in
& around their own systems that they care to talk about / share
myself at the moment:

- user workstation for stable builds, main day to day work & application
  level development
- build workstation for personal 'release engineering' and
  system / pkg builds, the few patches I've managed to submit
system builds are manually done in 'base level' os, with null mounts to
stable & current sources,
pkg builds are done with pbulk and a custom package list in a chroot
jail (not a jail-jail)

thinking of writing some kind of automated build driver with make and
some 'tool scripts' & and making the jails real jails, blah blah..
figgured I'd see what people were up to / any thoughts for talking shop
on this matter, maybe with an eye towards creating some kind of
'tinderbox' toolkit+document a-la-pbulk (but not tinderbox) for
automating the higher level build / branch tracking stuff locally..

anyhow.. discussion welcome.

cheers

- Chris