how to switch the base compiler to gcc 4.4.2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 6 10:01:33 PDT 2010

:Hi:
:
:How does one switch the base compiler to gcc 4.4.2 ?
:
:Here is some info for my setup:
:
: . running DragonFly 2.7-DEVELOPMENT v2.7.0.47.g3f16d
:   (HEAD as of April 4, 2010).
:...
:
: . the HEAD was built with CCVER=gcc44 for
:   - buildworld
:   - buildkernel
:   - installkernel
:   - installworld
:   - upgrade
:
: . have setup the following entries in /etc/make.conf
:   CCVER=gcc44
:   CC=gcc44
:   CXX=g++44
:   CPP=cpp44
:   CFLAGS+=-mssse3
:
:i donot see any /etc/libmap.conf (as seen in FreeBSD) which
:needs to be tweaked for rtld and ldd.
:
:Any pointers as to how to make gcc 4.4.2 as the base compiler
:for my custom DragonFlyBSD system on AMD64 box ?
:
:--
:thanks
:Saifi.

    I don't think you want to put explicit assignments in /etc/make.conf.
    You maybe able to put in conditional assignments instead:

    CCVER?=gcc44

    The compiler frontends will do the right thing, you should not have
    to set (and in fact you should not set) CC, CXX, or CPP.  The
    system compiler is 'cc' which is a frontend which runs the correct
    gcc based on CCVER.  Same with 'ld', 'c++', and so on and so forth.

    Also ,setting CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf could be rather dangerous, I
    would not do that.

    --

    With regards to the buildworld, the buildworld explicitly uses the
    compiler specified by WORLD_CCVER, which defaults to gcc41.  I believe

    I'm not sure what kind of override the buildkernel target uses.  It
    might have something similar.

					<dillon at backplane.com>