Editorial guidelines ?

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at datasynergy.org
Tue Oct 27 08:22:27 PDT 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

> On Tue, October 20, 2009 9:39 am, Saifi Khan wrote:
>
> > . why does local.css have min-width: 726px; instead of the
> >   standard width: 100%; ?
>
> This is min-width, not width, which is why it's not 100%.  It keeps the
> layout from being jumbled by a smaller browser window size.
>
> > . why does div #wrap have width: 80% instead of 100% ?
>
> To leave whitespace on the sides of the content; otherwise, the text bumps
> up against the margins.
>
> > . is it a good idea to remove from #sidebarlogo ?
> >   border-bottom: solid 1px #ddd;
>
> This is an aesthetic question, really - the reason it's there is to
> provide a visual cue on the width and shape of the side bar without having
> to explicitly outline that area.  It also keeps the logo visually anchored
> in that space.
>
> > . the concept of attic in wiki is to move out "no longer
> >   relevant content" from the current documentation.
> >
> >   eg. mercurial is not used at all and the content in an
> >   ordinary wiki would have been moved to the attic.
> >   http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/Mercurial/
> >
> >   what is the procedure to be followed for dragonFlyBSD.org ?
>
> Delete it.  It'll still be there in git, if it was needed later.
>
> > . why does wiki.dragonflybsd.org still exist if relevant content
> >   has been migrated/is available at dragonflybsd.org  ?
>
> Nobody's turned it off yet?  I don't recall a specific reason.
>
> I'm far more interested in seeing more content added than messing with the
> layout at this point - it will benefit all of us to a much greater degree.

Thank you for your reply.

Just a newbie's two cents:

1. mandoc is nice, but wiki is not.
   A wiki is just a easy way to do sitemap.

2. usability is sometimes important.
   Layout and Navigability are important part of usability.

Since i've documentation to contribute for newbies, i'll make
a small demo and post the link.

thanks
Saifi.