CAM and sa0

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Nov 25 21:59:31 PST 2009

:I am using release 2.4 and the Generic kernel. I have an ide tape drive
:and an ide zip disc drive.
:On boot ast0 and afd0 devices are found and then CAM configures sa0 and
:da0 for the same devices.
:
:I get the following results using these devices.
:
:dump -0 -f /dev/sa0 /var   (Nothing written to tape)
:dump -0 -f /dev/ast0 /var  (dump is good)
:pax -wf /dev/sa0 /etc      (Nothing written to tape)
:pax -wf /dev/ast0 /etc     (archive is good)
:dump -0 -f /dev/da0 /var   (dump is good)
:pax -wf /dev/da0 /etc      (archive is good)
:
:There seems to be a problem here. I wonder if it might have something to
:do with sa0 being the default tape device.
:
:Jim Chapman

    Hmm.  Well, it sounds like the CAM/ATA layer for the tape drive
    isn't functioning properly but you've already found the workaround.

    I don't have any IDE tape drives to test with.  You could mess around
    with a few simple 'dd' commands to read and write the tape to try to
    debug the issue.

					<dillon at backplane.com>