DragonFlyBSD make

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Nov 2 19:41:03 PST 2009

:Hi:
:
:Couple of newbie queries about DragonFlyBSD make:
:
:Is DragonFlyBSD make a derivative of pmake ?

    Not that I know of.  From outside the BSD world our
    make is bsdmake.

:While using DragonFlyBSD make utility on a source tree
:(without -j option) with a .depend file,
:is a single shell executed for all dependency commands
:or is a shell executed per command ?
:
:thanks
:Saifi.

    I believe a shell is exec'd for each command.  The simplest
    commands are simply exec'd directly.  You can put complex
    bourne shell command sequences on a single line to run them
    in a single shell if you want.  That sort of thing is sprinkled
    around the Makefiles but generally avoided if possible.

					<dillon at backplane.com>