nextboot(8)

Francis GUDIN fgudin at droog.sdf-eu.org
Thu Nov 19 13:11:31 PST 2009

On 19-11-2009, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless things have vastly diverged in the way DFly boots compared to
> FBSD, nextboot doesn't have anything to do with which partitions are
> booted from.  All it does is tell the loader which kernel to use.
> Mainly used for testing a kernel, since a reboot will load the normal
> kernel.

OK, so if I understand correctly, stage 1 & 2 don't matter, and
loader(8) is the one that will handle the bootstring; hence it answers
my second point and the serno notation should work as well as when used
with 'vfs.root.mountfrom'. I'll test it soon.

> Have a look at boot.config(5), which is a file that you can use to
> tell the loader and the kernel which partition to use as the root
> filesystem.

I'd rather have an automatic fallback mecanism instead of PXE-booting
the rescue OS from the hosting company to adjust a file's content kept
onto a UFS slice (furthermore, this rescue distrib is compiled without
RW UFS mounting capability).

> Or, look into using a boot manager.  DFly comes with a simple one that
> will list each bootable partition.  Or you can install a simple one
> like GAG.  Or you can use GRUB, since you already have it installed on
> the Linux partition.

I'll get rid of the Linux entirely and I just want to avoid installing a
third-party sofware when we have all that's required in base.

By the way, thank you very much for your input.

Best regards,

fgudin at sdf-eu.org
SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf-eu.org