Makefile upgrade: target for x86_64

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at datasynergy.org
Fri Nov 6 08:32:59 PST 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009, YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 08:06:56PM +0530, Saifi Khan wrote:
> > Running the Makefile in debug mode, shows that the following
> > variables are still set to amd64
> >
> > MACHINE_ARCH
> > MACHINE
> >
> > Please see the highlighted lines (line 751 and 752) at
> > http://dragonflybsd.pastebin.com/m7e5b6eca
> >
> > How do i set these variables to x86_64 in the Makefile ?
>
> By setting environment variables with the same name, or specify them
> on the command line.  Otherwise they're taken from sysctl variables
> (look at InitVariables() function in make's source code).

Yonetani Tomokazu thank you for your reply.

i wrote a small shell script that i 'source' so that the
environment variables are set.

> If you're  performing the `approved method of upgrading your
> system', you're still running old kernel, which should return
> amd64.

i pulled in Simon's latest checkin, before starting the build.

# uname -a
DragonFly amd64x2.datasynergy.org 2.5.1-DEVELOPMENT DragonFly
v2.5.1.187.gc1543-DEVELOPMENT #0: Fri Nov  6 23:57:32 IST 2009
root at amd64x2.datasynergy.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SYNERGYOS
x86_64
#

So currently, my AMD64X2 box is v2.5.1.187.gc1543-DEVELOPMENT

Does this look ok to you ?

> So corecode added a hack in Makefile.inc1 to replace these
> variables, but it's only used when sub-make processes are run
> as ${MAKE} because of the this line in the top-level Makefile:
>
> MAKE=	PATH=${PATH} make -m ${.CURDIR}/share/mk -f
> Makefile.inc1

Yes, you are right. i did study the Makefile.inc1 and found.

eg.

. if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "amd64"
MACHINE_ARCH=   x86_64
. makeenv MACHINE_ARCH
. endif

> so this applies to buildworld or installworld, but doesn't
> apply to `make upgrade' target, as it's written as:
>
> upgrade: upgrade_etc upgrade_etc: @cd ${.CURDIR}/etc; make -m
> ${.CURDIR}/share/mk upgrade_etc
>
> But the generic answer is of course, wait for the committer's
> comment :)

Sure, look forward to reading Simon's reply and observations.

thanks
Saifi.