CAM and sa0

Jim Chapman jim.chapman at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 25 16:29:45 PST 2009

I am using release 2.4 and the Generic kernel. I have an ide tape drive
and an ide zip disc drive.
On boot ast0 and afd0 devices are found and then CAM configures sa0 and
da0 for the same devices.

I get the following results using these devices.

dump -0 -f /dev/sa0 /var   (Nothing written to tape)
dump -0 -f /dev/ast0 /var  (dump is good)
pax -wf /dev/sa0 /etc      (Nothing written to tape)
pax -wf /dev/ast0 /etc     (archive is good)
dump -0 -f /dev/da0 /var   (dump is good)
pax -wf /dev/da0 /etc      (archive is good)
There seems to be a problem here. I wonder if it might have something to
do with sa0 being the default tape device.

Jim Chapman