nextboot(8)

Francis GUDIN fgudin at droog.sdf-eu.org
Thu Nov 19 04:29:18 PST 2009

Hi,

Three quick questions regarding nextboot(8):
- by default, fdisk(8) uses /boot/mbr and boot0cfg(8) uses /boot/boot0
  (which differ, cmp tells me). Which one should be installed to enjoy
  nextboot(8) ?
- does nextboot(8) handle the 'serno' enhancements ? just in case the
  manpage lags a bit behind actual functionality…
- almost off-topic, but the knowledgeable people here might save my
  time: would another slice (Linux) be still bootable after nextboot(8)
  configuration, given that for now the host uses GRUB ? anyone kind
  enough to give pointers as to which file to include in nextboot's
  bootstring for that Linux slice ?

The idea is to have two OS+pkg slices: one production config + an
alternative one to lower risks on upgrades (à la «Linux from scratch»).
The server is remote, and I don't have any KVM, so disasters would be
painful to recover from…

Thank you for any data on these points.

Best regards,
fgudin at sdf-eu.org