problem installing OpenOffice

justin at shiningsilence.com justin at shiningsilence.com
Sun Nov 15 07:03:27 PST 2009

> On Saturday 14 November 2009 20:32:42 justin at shiningsilence.com wrote:
>> Here's my guesses: firefox didn't install because it needs a newer
>> version
>> of sqlite3, which pkgin itself needs and you were upgrading using pkgin.
>> (And pkg_radd won't replace existing packages.)
>
> Sounds sensible. sqlite is ver. 3.6.17. How do I upgrade it?

There's a number of choices.  Update your /usr/pkgsrc, and:

- pkg_rolling-replace will rebuild dependencies from source in the best
order possible.  It'll take a while, and the system will be tied up during
that time as packages are added/removed.

- pkg_delete -f sqlite3 and pkg_radd sqlite3.  This will be fastest.
Assuming there's no binary incompatbilites between the version you have
now and the new version, everything that depends on it should continue
working.  (Normally pkg_delete wouldn't let you delete a package other
packages need, but the -f will make it happen.)  If you do 'pkg_delete
sqlite3' (with no -f) and look at the packages it lists as dependent,
those packages could be upgraded too.  Of course, if there's other
packages dependent on those packages too, the problem gets bigger.

- Normally I'd say 'use pkgin to upgrade binaries' but I think the fact
that pkgin is dependent on the one package you are trying to upgrade is
the cause of the problem.  There may be a 'force' option to pkgin that
will do it.

What I'd do: Look for a way to force the upgrade with pkgin.  Failing
that, you can pkg_delete and pkg_radd sqlite3.  I'm 95% percent sure you
can do this without any issues.  If you positively cannot take any chances
that this system has downtime, pkg_rolling-replace.

There may be other options I haven't thought of; there's a lot of ways to
tackle upgrading within pkgsrc.