pkg_dry on DragonFlyBSD

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Sat May 9 06:18:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:27:16PM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> 	There may well come a time for either of these where there are two
> incompatible versions extant supporting two actively used versions of their
> client (think around a major version bump). It would be much easier to
> maintain multiple active versions in the pkgsrc framework than in the
> kernel source tree.

What is more likely? The kernel interface changing enough to require
fixing the module or an incompatible version to appear?

I am against pushing kernel modules into pkgsrc because I strongly
believe based on experience from watching different kernels and external
modules for years, that the former happens a lot more often.

Why does it make it better to keep them in base? Because that way the
exposure is much greater. Heck, if it is part of the normal buildworld,
people do care about breaking it...

Joerg