pkg_dry on DragonFlyBSD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri May 8 21:52:39 PDT 2009

On Fri, 08 May 2009 21:46:31 +0200
Sascha Wildner <saw at online.de> wrote:

> >> Right. That would also make it easy to place it into an existing
> >> pkgsrc tree.
> >> What else except the kqemu package could we put there?
> >
> > 	It might make sense to move the drm kernel modules there.
>
> Why?

	Like kqemu it's a kernel module with only one client, kqemu is only
used by qemu and the DRM kernel module is only used by the Xorg server.
They are both bridge modules with one end of their interfaces determined by
the client (and thus not under the control of the DragonFly project) and one
end determined by the kernel interfaces of DragonFly. Both of these
interfaces are subject to change over time.

	There may well come a time for either of these where there are two
incompatible versions extant supporting two actively used versions of their
client (think around a major version bump). It would be much easier to
maintain multiple active versions in the pkgsrc framework than in the
kernel source tree.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun