ABI/API soft freeze reminder

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Sun May 31 15:43:53 PDT 2009

Let me remind to you that there is ABI/API soft freeze now in effect until
2.4 release. I know that we all wanted to do more in this cycle (libc_r
removal etc), but as it's not done for now, sorry ... it has to wait for
post 2.4 now.

The goal of the freeze is to provide relatively stable environment for
pkgsrc development work so focus can be moved to fix packages not only to
the breakages caused by the development in the base.

Soft freeze doesn't mean that bugs can't be fixed and development can't be
done, but ...

* Please not moving things around in headers even if the result is more
  correct according to standards. No playing with standards etc related
  ifdefs either, please.

* No changes to the public API/ABI in the libraries in the base. This
  includes both removal and adding of the symbols, also removal and
  adding of the libraries.

* No "sync library x with yBSD" either, please.

I'm sure I forgot something anyway ... ;)

thank you for understanding,

--
Hasso Tepper