Qemu 0.10.0 HOWTO

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Mar 27 19:54:44 PDT 2009

:Seems I'm not very good at explaining things and many of you have problems
:with qemu ;).
:
:What works at the moment is upstreams' trunk - ie. development branch from
:qemu subversion repo. But as it seems to be broken often etc, here is
:short HOWTO for 0.10.0.
:
:* Grab and unpack the qemu tarball:
:  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/qemu/qemu-0.10.0.tar.gz
:
:* Grab and apply the patch:
:  http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/qemu-0.10.0-dragonfly.patch

    I think the trunk is still badly broken.  I managed to get it
    to compile with numerous --disable flags and it is able to
    start booting a 32 or 64 bit kernel, but then qemu itself
    seg-faults with signal 11 and that's all she wrote.

    I also tried 0.10.1.  It fails in the same way.

    This is the configure line I'm using at the moment.  I've tried other
    combinations as well, including -nographic, linking against the SDL
    library, and so on and so forth.  They all seg-fault.

            ./configure --disable-sdl \
                        --disable-gfx-check \
                        --disable-kqemu \
                        --disable-bsd-user \
                        --static \
                        --audio-drv-list= \
                        --audio-card-list= \
                        --disable-brlapi \
                        --disable-vnc-tls \
                        --enable-system \
                        --disable-aio \
                        --disable-vde \
                        --disable-kvm \
                        --target-list=i386-softmmu,x86_64-softmmu

    And the seg-fault:

	ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
	plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
	lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
	lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
	ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
	ip: MPSAFE
	arp: MPSAFE
	ipfw2 initialized, default to accept, logging disabled
	DUMMYNET initialized (011031)
	*** Signal 11
	Stop in /usr/src/test/amd64.
	test28#

    I'm at a loss as to why it is blowing up.

					<dillon at backplane.com>