Vinum

Joe Holden jwh at jwh.me.uk
Fri Jun 19 20:19:35 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to use vinum for raid1, but am running into a few
issues:

I can create the volume by doing vinum create [-f] /etc/vinum.conf with
the following config:

drive drive1 device /dev/ad0s1d
drive drive2 device /dev/ad2s1d
 volume data setupstate
  plex org concat
    sd length 26890m drive drive1
  plex org concat
    sd length 26890m drive drive2
All is well and I can newfs and mount the volume, the problem arises when
I either do vinum start, or reboot the machine with vinum_start="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf, vinum: loaded appears on the console, and then the machine
gets stuck.
Similar happens if the system is already running, although I can do
kldload vinum/kldunload vinum and create/destroy volumes, and it appears
to be replicated, as long as I don't do vinum start.

Is anyone on the list versed with vinum at all, or know of an alternate
method of using mirrored disks on a non-raid machine?  I have only ever
used gmirror, so would appreciate some advice.

Regards,