Dragonfly used in production

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jun 19 09:21:25 PDT 2009

:Hi all,
:
:Just wanted to let you know that we have deployed in production a cluster of
:about 50 single-CPU machines running Dragonfly. That's probably Dragonfly's
:largest production install base at a single location:-) The machines are
:used as the crawler layer for a search engine. We are not using hammer yet
:but plan on transition to it in the next 6-12 months. In case you want to
:find out more about the project please visit:
:http://www.euraeka.com/faq
:
:We are very happy with the way Dragonfly handles the load. Our previous
:crawler cluster ran Debian Linux and the crawling speed was horrible. After
:switching to Dragonfly, we gained 5x-6x in crawling speed.
:I am just forwarding this information in case there are plans to set up a
:page "Sites using Dragonfly" like the ones on the FreeBSD and NetBSD
:projects.
:Thanks.

    Hey, that's cool!  Where did the primary increase in performance
    come from?  Networking?  Filesystem?

					<dillon at backplane.com>