Grub boot-loading HAMMER

rektide rektide at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 18:08:54 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to use Grub to dual boot into DragonflyBSD running on a
HAMMER slice.  The install wouldnt let me install boot blocks onto
ad0s3 where my HAMMER lives, so I logged in as root from the LiveCD
and boot0cfg -B ad0s3'd: I'm not sure if this was necessary or
advisable.  I'm also not sure if this utility is what the installer
would have used to install boot blocks, or whether Dragonfly has a
different utility.  The installer also didnt change the FS type of the
partition: its still listed as FAT16, even though it was formatted
over.

After these install procedures, I tried using grub to load the slice.
I tried chainloader'ing it, as well as specifying a kernel
/boot/loader.  The first gave me an Error 13: invalid or unsupported
execution format" and the second an Error 17: unable to mount
partition error.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting Grub to dual-boot a HAMMER
DragonflyBSD?  If this is hopeless, what can I do to place the
absolute minimum amount of code on a bootable non-HAMMER area, and the
dominant part of DBSD in Hammer?

I'll be on IRC.  Ping rektide.  Or respond here.  Thank you for your time.