The state of DragonFly and pkgsrc 2008Q4

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jan 4 11:40:38 PST 2009

:We target our releases to end of January and to end of July. Q2 is
:released in the end of June and Q4 is released in the end of December. I
:think that it's reasonable to have soft API/ABI freeze two months before
:DragonFly release? It would leave a month to fix problems in pkgsrc.
:
:Q1 and Q3 pkgsrc releases will be targeted to work on latest stable. It
:doesn't mean that these will not work on HEAD, they do mostly, but I at
:least don't make any extra effort fo that.
:
:--
:Hasso Tepper

    Yah, I agree.  We should try a two-month soft-freeze on the userland ABI.
    So, December/January, and June/July.  Exceptions may pop up but pkgsrc
    is becoming a very important part of the release cycle and needs to be
    supported as much as possible.

					<dillon at backplane.com>