RAID 1 or Hammer

Jasse Jansson jasse at yberwaffe.com
Wed Jan 14 03:22:01 PST 2009

First of all, thanks Simon for the links, It sure was interesting
reading.

On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Bjørn Vermo wrote:

I have toyed with the idea that one drive in a mirrored pair ought
to have the addresses inverted, so sector 1 on one drive is mapped
to sector MAX -1 on the other.
I read it like the locality (radius) of the errors occur on the same
disc,
so I don't see the benefit from your "reversed mirror strategy".

You will also get some interesting performance problems to tackle, when
one disc works on the inner tracks and the other one is on the outer
tracks.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

The axioms of wisdom:
1. Go the SPARC way of life
2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems