Hammer FS: imposing a size limit on PFS?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Feb 26 16:49:25 PST 2009

:
:He,
:
:* Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>
:>     The idea with HAMMER is you just create one big filesystem and use the
:>     PFS functionality to break it up into separate management domains.
:>     Currently a size limit may not be placed on a PFS.
:
:This raises an important question: what to do if one uses HAMMER on a
:multi user box?  It should be possible for a malicious user to fill up
:his $HOME on the /home PFS and thus blow the fs up, or?  Correct me if
:I'm wrong.  If I'm right what is the policy for admins using HAMMER on a
:machine with a lot of user shells?
:
:Regards
:
:	Matthias
:
:PS: Someone interested to hack quota support for HAMMER? :)

    Basically we would need a quota system in the kernel layer that
    works for all filesystems, rather then the current VFS-specific
    quota system.

					<dillon at backplane.com>