Hammer FS: imposing a size limit on PFS?

Jurij Kovacic jurij.kovacic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 12:11:33 PST 2009

Thank you very much for your reply.

Matthias Schmidt wrote:

You do not have to take care about the sizes of the PFS.  They are all
on top of the native HAMMER partition so they share the capacity.  There
was a very good post from Matt on PFS some days ago ... so have a look in the
archives.
What I found confusing was that the installer states that "There is no
need to create separate slices for /var, /home ..." on account of PFS.

If PFSs /var, /home, / ... share the same native HAMMER partition then,
for example, a malicious user could cause the whole system to run out of
disk space by placing/creating a large file in his home directory.
Likewise, an overgrown log file residing in /var could cause the same
"side effects".

This is why I wanted to implement the following partitioning scheme:

/ 256MB
swap 4G
/usr 5G
/var 5G
/home 2G
/jails 50G
but found that 256MB..or even 1G was not enough for root partition,
since the installer ran out of disk space.

This prompted my question: how large should the root partition for the
install?

Kind regards,
Jurij Kovacic