Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Mon Feb 23 09:43:25 PST 2009

Jasse Jansson wrote:
On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Bill Hacker wrote:

*trimmed*

But there we are, Startup 'seeding; is unavidable, but thereafter ...
among other things, looking to reduce the reliance on rsync (and
similar CVS'ish or git'ish techniques) having to 'inventory' stuff at
a high per-file level that a 'hammer mirror-stream' (or GMIRROR to
networked RAID) could do 'as you go along' at a lower level - closer
to the actual blocks as they are being written.

How, and how well, would ZFS handle redundant pools on separate sites?

And can that be a streaming process - even if that means the
redundancy target is r/o for 'the duration', as a hammer slave would be?
I have not tried it myself, but there is a ZFS send/receive command,
that might do the trick.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

Looks promising. VERY promising...:

http://docs.huihoo.com/opensolaris/solaris-zfs-administration-guide/html/ch06s03.html

Thanks for pointing that out....

Bill