off-box mirror-stream and friends

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Feb 16 11:54:23 PST 2009

:Looking at function getyn() posted by Bill Hacker I
:eventually understand what's wrong. Code - the universal language...
:
:So, really, the best thing that we can do is to introduce a
:--force-slave-pfs-creation switch and replace the getyn() call in
:cmd_mirror.c by a simple if (ForceSlavePfsCreation...). I like this
:more than the original approach (using ttys), as it is usable from
:within scripts.
:
:While we are working on this, we could replace all
:interactivity in hammer utilities with optional command line switches.
:So the strategy could be: first look if there is a switch specified, if
:not, fall back to /dev/tty, if this fails, assume NO.
:
:I do not like a command line switch "-f", which means anything
:(including force). It's too easy to mix it up with "-f" meaning
:"--file". Think about doing some admin work late after midnight, and
:your fingers go again faster than your brain; while a "rm -rf" on a
:Hammer FS would give you a second chance, a mixed up "hammer
:mirror-copy -f" would probably not :). I really would like to see a
:--force here (or a more specific one).
:
:Regards,
:
:  Michael

    Don't make it too long an option name.  How about '-y', meaning
    'say yes to any interactive questions'.  Or something like that.

					<dillon at backplane.com>