2.2 Release Progress Update #2

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Feb 8 16:50:31 PST 2009

    We are on track to release 2.2 in about a week, around Feb 15th or so.
    The master branch remains in soft-freeze through Thursday as 2.2 work
    continues to be committed to it and then git-merged into the 2.2 branch.

    Testing is going very well on all fronts.  I'm working up a feature
    list which I hope to post next week some-time.  I will be traveling
    a bit for work-related reasons but I should be able to stay online.

    The 2.2 release will be our first featuring an official DVD ISO image
    in addition to the CD ISO image, the idea originating with the SOC
    project last year with tons of enhancements since.  We also have a USB
    thumb drive image feature written by Michael Neumann and may generate
    an official image for that too.

    The more complex pkgsrc support for the release build infrastructure,
    written by Sascha Wildner, has made it possible to trivially build
    larger DVD ISO images containing many pre-installed packages.  The
    first DVD ISO release weighs in at about a gigabyte and is expected
    to be expanded in future release cycles.

					<dillon at backplane.com>