Updating USB stack from FBSD 8.x and others

Oliver Fromme check+kumxo500rswcnrjn at fromme.com
Mon Dec 14 01:46:36 PST 2009

elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:
 > 2) BTX: i have been recently bitten by this thing again and I would really
 > like to see GRUB + multiboot in, BTX and loader out.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with BTX + loader?
It's working quite well for me, and I like the fact that
it is scriptable so you can do whatever you want, e.g.
create your own menus and so on.  (Admittedly FORTH is
not the most intuitive language to program in, but you
get used to it.)

GRUB2 also supports scripts, but it's rather limited
in comparison.  Also, it's not very well documented (as
far as I can tell), and most of it is under GPL v3.

BTW, if you want to use GRUB for some reason, it is able
to chain-load the BSD loader just fine.  So there's no
reason to get rid of BTX + loader.

Just my 2 cents.

 > I would be willing to contribute up to $500 USD for each, maybe others
 > will put in some $$$ too.

I would prefer to put some money on keeping loader.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver