Qemu in the pkgsrc

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Mon Aug 31 06:04:35 PDT 2009

I updated qemu in the pkgsrc to the 0.10.6 version and have all the
patches floating around relevant to DragonFly. There are also patches
which make bsd user emulation build, but it doesn't really work:

$ /usr/pkg/bin/qemu-sparc64
bash: /usr/pkg/bin/qemu-sparc64: cannot execute binary file
$ file /usr/pkg/bin/qemu-sparc64
/usr/pkg/bin/qemu-sparc64: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, for DragonFly 2.0.206, stripped
$

My wild guess from very short investigation is this:

# WARNING: this LDFLAGS is _very_ tricky : qemu is an ELF shared object
# that the kernel ELF loader considers as an executable. I think this
# is the simplest way to make it self virtualizable!
LDFLAGS+=-Wl,-shared

It would be nice if someone with free timeslots, could take a look.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper