is hammer for us

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Aug 11 22:09:29 PDT 2009

:
:The I/O bottleneck is coming from the disk subsystem and network. I
:was wondering if HAMMER can do parallel filesystem implementation
:similar to GPFS or Lustre.
:
:Also, the reads/writes are random access there is very little
:sequential streaming, but the files are large.Each file is around 30GB
:each

    It can do master->multi_slave replication if that is what you mean.
    I don't know how that might compare to GPFS or Lustre.  You are going
    to have more choices in linux-land then in BSD-land, particularly if
    you have a large array of drives.

    If there is an I/O bottleneck from the disks due to random access
    seeks the only solution is more spindles.

    If you can stage the data in any way a large SSD (solid state drive)
    might help.  e.g. one or more 256G SSDs for data staging eliminates
    the seek bottlneck and probably also eliminates the need for large
    amounts of ram in the machines.