cpdup: get latest source tarball, or git?

Michel Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 04:15:35 PDT 2009

In the process of updating Fedora's cpdup package, I started looking at
Dragonfly's gitweb, in order to write an update summary. The timestamp
on the tarball for cpdup 1.14 (March 2009), surprisingly, is *before*
the release number bump is committed to git. It is, however, *after* a
patch to the manpage has been committed in git, yet this patch is not in
the released tarball.

The question, I guess, is how one deduce which is the "blessed" release,
and whether patch contributions from outside packagers should target the
latest standalone release, or target the git master? In this case, I
have two patches, the first one will still apply either way, but the
second patch fixes more typo errors in the manpage, and looking at the
git changelog, will probably not apply without some changes since that
file has been touched several times.

Thanks,

--
Michel Salim