Fwd: kqemu patch for DragonFly BSD on kqemu1.4.0pre1

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Wed Apr 29 09:42:44 PDT 2009

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Naoya Sugioka wrote:
:> I've just sent a mail to gnat at netbsd.org to reach pkgsrc community
:> if I can include them to their pkgsrc tree now.
:
:I don't have a good idea how to make a pkgsrc package for kernel
module. :Actually I'd prefer it to be imported into base.     Yah, I
agree.  There seem to be some files missing from the
    kqemu-dragonfly.patch.tar file you posted.  It's making calls
    to routines that are not present in files in the tar.

    e.g. kqemu_log(), but no file in the tar contains a function by
    that name.
    It will also require a major security and software review, and also
    needs a master SYSCTL-based enable (default disabled).
Why an enable?  Just don't load the module if you don't want it to be
used.  qemu doesn't load the module itself.

Actually it does on sme OS/hosts.

Or 'can' check for it and load it on startup if not already loaded -
unless otherwise directed, anyway.

Also, I don't think we should put $random kernel modules into base.  Why
isn't pkgsrc a good location?

cheers
 simon
Probably a better place until there are sufficient resources to insure
that kqemu (heck, 'any' .ko) will always have been thoroughly tested
with the release it travels with.

Bill