Fwd: kqemu patch for DragonFly BSD on kqemu1.4.0pre1

Johannes Hofmann johannes.hofmann at gmx.de
Wed Apr 29 07:01:11 PDT 2009

Johannes Hofmann <johannes.hofmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:
>> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>> :Naoya Sugioka wrote:
>>> :> I've just sent a mail to gnat at netbsd.org to reach pkgsrc community
>>> :> if I can include them to their pkgsrc tree now.
>>> :
>>> :I don't have a good idea how to make a pkgsrc package for kernel module.
>>> :Actually I'd prefer it to be imported into base.
>>>     Yah, I agree.  There seem to be some files missing from the
>>>     kqemu-dragonfly.patch.tar file you posted.  It's making calls
>>>     to routines that are not present in files in the tar.
>>>
>>>     e.g. kqemu_log(), but no file in the tar contains a function by
>>>     that name.
>>>
>>>     It will also require a major security and software review, and also
>>>     needs a master SYSCTL-based enable (default disabled).
>>
>> Why an enable?  Just don't load the module if you don't want it to be used.  qemu doesn't load the module itself.
>>
>> Also, I don't think we should put $random kernel modules into base.  Why isn't pkgsrc a good location?
>
> FreeBSD seems to have it in ports too and with net/solaris-tap there
> is at least one kernel module in pkgsrc already.
> I can try to put together wip/kqemu.

Ok, I have an initial pkgsrc package at
http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/tmp/kqemu.tar.gz

Some issues I came across:

* I had to remove the '-nostdinc' when compiling the common directory
  (patch-aa). Not sure if that is ok.

* To build the actual kernel module I needed to use DragonFly's make.
  I forced this be calling /usr/bin/make which might not be the right
  thing to do.

* The module is installed to /usr/pkg/lkm/. This is copied from
  emulators/vmware-module. Again not sure whether this is the right
  thing.

Cheers,
Johannes