Installing DragonFly

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:04:47 PDT 2009

2009/4/18 Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev at dir.bg>:
> Colin Adams wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if it is the same problem (it certainly sounds similar).
>>
>> This is not a laptop though. Nor is it an old machine (less than 3 years
>> old).
>>
>> Anyway, I have booted DragonFly from the live CD and logged in as root.
>>
>> But what device name do I use (I only have one disk)? Everything I
>> guessed at, it says "device not configured".
>>
>> 2009/4/17 Michael Neumann <mneumann at ntecs.de>:
>>

> Try ad0 or sd0.
> You should look at dmesg(8) output and see what devices the kernel has
> recognised (and what names they got).

I had already tried ad0.

dmesg revealed that the disk hadn't been seen at all. Perhaps I
plugged it in too late. Re-booting and re-plugging really early did
the trick (it was ad0, which was where the live DVD installed
DragonFly yesterday).

so fdisk -C ad0 says (slightly abbreviated):

cylinders=310101 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512 bytes.
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information form DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
ssysid 165,(DragonFly/FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
        start 63, size 312581745 (152627 Meg), flag 80 (active)
             beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
             end: cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63
partitions 2 3 and 4 <UNUSED>

So where do I go from here?