"From scratch" resource allocation

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Apr 4 14:01:16 PDT 2009

:I'd like to ask, does DragonflyBSD have any plans for introducing
:hardware resource allocation to the kernel, instead of relying
:entirely on the BIOS for that? If not, can I suggest it as a
:potentially useful thing to add? I realize it would be a rather
:radical departure from standard BSDisms, but it would make laptop
:support a lot better... Also, it just strikes me as rather wise in
:this age of buggy proprietary BIOSes to rely on the BIOS as little as
:reasonably possible.

    It's not easy to do.  John is right.  If the device is behind a
    bridge (and many are), then allocating resources from scratch requires
    complete knowledge of the bridge chipsets.  That information is not
    easy to come by.

					<dillon at backplane.com>