/boot as a boot partition

Stefan Johannesdal stefan.johannesdal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:26:49 PDT 2008

Thomas Nikolajsen wrote:
Another small roadbump. I got myself a new shiny HDD and decided that since I am to move my installation over to it anyways, >it's HAMMER time for real. Time to stop testing and start using. Long story short, one eye at /usr/share/examples/rconfig/>hammer.sh and off I went setting things up and cpduping stuff over. Changed the necessary stuff and rebooted. Snag...

---8<-----
loader: not a directory
No /boot/loader

Try deleting occurrences of '/boot/' from /boot/loader.rc.

And set vfs.mount.mountfrom in /boot/loader.conf.

If you are working from a fresh install from HEAD this shouldn't be needed,
as loader.rc has been changed in CVS;
I guess we should put a note in UPDATING
(loader.rc isn't touched by `make upgrade' as it's a user config file)
Also: gpt(8) (HEAD) has an example (with note on deleting '/boot/' from loader.rc)
of installing system using HAMMER as root file system.
loader(8) (HEAD) describes
 -thomas

I had already covered the vfs.root.mountfrom. The thing I missed was the
loader.rc and since I have my own boot menu I had to remove a couple of
/boot in there too. Now it works. Thanks!

--

Mvh  - Stefan -