Solved - Re: DRM not working - recent head

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sun Sep 14 13:26:18 PDT 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

> :
> :	Gah here I sit red in face - /dev/dri/card0 had somehow become a
> :device with major number 0. Fixed that and all is well.
> :
> :--
>
>     Cool.  If you recall how the device managed to get mis-created
>     we might be able to add some protection against future occurances.
>     I've seen devices wind up with the wrong permissions or ownership,
>     usually due to a crash occuring soon after a MAKEDEV and the
> filesystem not fully synced, but not with the wrong major number.

	Not much hope of that I'm afraid - it happened some time in April
according to the timestamp on the file. That if memory serves correctly was
about the time the DRM stuff was moving from pkgsrc-wip to pkgsrc. It
probably got crunched by some halfway house code, that device gets created
by the X server if it's not present.

>     Hmm.  It might be possible if /dev were copied and restored (e.g. to
>     another OS, like Linux), or tared and untared, in certain
> circumstances.

	What a horrible thing to do to /dev :)