Back from nycbsdcon!

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 14 17:41:52 PDT 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:

     I hope everyone survived the financial meltdown!  There were a few
     no-shows at the Con due to the mess, it being NYC there were
     numerous local BSD users working in the financial industries who got
     messed up pretty badly.
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised to hear that, but I am.  Are you saying
that those BSD users are employed to use and/or maintain BSD systems in
the financial sector?  I'd have figured the Wall Street herd for M$-only
shops.

     This week may be a little hairy for me.  I do not yet know whether I'll
     need to help bring our sailboat back up to the Bay Area from Monterey,
     so my presence on the lists will depend on that.  A few off-shore storm
     systems muffed up the return schedule so I'm on-call now.  I'd
     consider it an extended vacation but bringing a boat north up the
     California coast usually means upwind sailing in heavier seas == I'll
     be cold, miserable, and seasick...
Hey, sounds like every staff meeting I've ever suffered through.  Is it
really true that the second happiest day in a boat owner's life is the
day he buys it -- and the happiest is the day he sells it?  :o)