problem with DragonFly in Qemu

Antonio Huete Jimenez ahuete.devel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 03:42:33 PDT 2008

Hello,

My recommendation is the following:
- On your linux system just add a few tap devices using tunctl (I have 6
that are created when the system starts), create a bridge with your
physical ethernet and all the virtual devices, and use your bridge
device as the main host network device.
See my config:

# brctl show br0
br0             8000.001617eff231       no              eth0
                                                        tap0
                                                        tap1
                                                        tap2
                                                        tap3
                                                        tap4
                                                        tap5

Use br0 as your main host interface as your are doing now with your eth0
(or whatever interfaces you have). There's no problem with this.

- Later on, just pass a line like this to qemu (it may vary since I'm
using QEMU-KVM)
qemu ... your param ... -net nic -net
tap,ifname=<yourtapinterface>,script=<your .qemu-ifup script>

You qemu script should contain at least this:
/sbin/ip link set $1 up

So qemu realises that the interface you are passing is really there
(iirc in qemu you have to use script=<your qemu-ifup script ifname>

Anyways, as stated by Michael this is not directly related with Dragonfly ;)
If you need further infromation just have a look on google, because I
think there are a lot of howtos and tutorials for getting this working.

Antonio Huete