VLC problem running on DragonFly 2.0.0

Max Herrgaard herrgaard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 11:35:59 PDT 2008

> Hi Max,

    Hi again.

> This time I have successfully installed the sound card driver of my
> laptop which is an Intel high definition audio by recompiling the
> kernel again through adding device pcm and device snd_hda modules then

    Usually you add support either by compiling it into the kernel or
by loading the modules.
    If you use GENERIC the line 'snd_hda_load="YES"' in
/boot/loader.conf should load the module.
    'kldload snd_hda' at a prompt works too.

> it works fine while VLC is executed in the console. This time with

    In console? Do you mean without running Xorg?

> Xfce4 desktop environment, running VLC on the GUI will also occur the
> core dump issue and the VLC process just died right after the moment
> it is executed. What should be the parameters of the ktrace to track
> VLC process executed on top of Xfce4?

    Do you start it from a menu? What is the start command for that
menu item? You could try
    to change it to include ktrace, something like 'ktrace vlc'.
        If you'd like a large ktrace dump file, you could try a
complete ktrace of xfce. Try 'ktrace -i startx'.
    Remember this will generate a LARGE dump file. 'ktrace -C' turns
all ongoing tracing off.

> I also attached the dmesg output of the detected Intel sound card driver.
>
> Thanks,
> Archimedes

    I don't know how xfce does this kind of things. Maybe you need to
change something in its sound
    settings or add a startup option. Does sound work at all within
xfce, or is it only vlc that fails? Did
    you compile xfce yourself or did you use packages?

    Good luck :-)

-Max