New site design

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed May 28 23:12:57 PDT 2008

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
James Frazer put together a nice site redesign based on some discussion we
had here before.  He sent me a copy of it all, and I'm only now catching
up enough to show it:
http://www.shiningsilence.com:81/

I'm happy with the layout and content; I'm looking for further suggestions
for tweaks.  If there's no show-stopping objections, I'd like to move the
dragonflybsd.org site to this.
I'd make the title larger, this way it looks strange right now.  I
actually liked the red, so maybe we could have all colors in a css?  just
kidding :)

But I think we should change the navigation on the left:

- have sections and links visually distinguishable, i.e.
- leave sections bold, make links normal, maybe smaller
- don't use a fixed column size (wraps here)
- use background for the cells/navigation to make it obvious that it is
navigation.

Regarding the title, I'd like to see the logo in the title, and I'd like
to see a larger font for the title, instead of using spaced letters.

There is no link to the snapshots anymore, I think this should go into the
"Download" section as a paragraph on top.  Further, I would split the
release errata/announcement from the download page.  I would even split
the list of mirrors from the download page, so that you click on download,
read one paragraph on snapshots vs releases, then click on one of them,
then get to the mirrors page, or better yet, get the iso served from one
of the mirrors.

cheers
  simon